Type I hypersensitivities, or allergies, are mediated by immunoglobulin E (IgE) that causes the release of inflammatory substances from mast cells. In horses, clinical manifestation of allergy often occurs at 4-5 years of age, while sensitization to allergen can precede clinical signs by several years. We have recently shown that immediate skin reactions in horses can be mediated by IgE and also by anti-IgG(T) antibodies. Currently, we investigate whether IgE and IgG(T) both contribute to clinical allergy in the horse.
If you own a horse diagnosed with summer eczema by your veterinarian, and would like to contribute to research on this disease by submitting blood samples from your horse, click here.
- Wagner B, Stokol T and Ainsworth DM. 2010. Induction of interleukin-4 production in neonatal IgE+ cells after crosslinking of maternal IgE. Dev. Comp. Immunol., 34: 436-444. VIEW ABSTRACT
- Wagner B. 2009. IgE in horses: Occurrence in health and disease. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol., 132: 21-30. VIEW ABSTRACT
- Wagner B, Miller WH, Erb HN, Lunn DP, Antczak DF. 2009. Sensitization of skin mast cells with IgE antibodies to Culicoides allergens occurs frequently in clinically healthy horses. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol., 132: 53-61. VIEW ABSTRACT
- Wagner B, Childs BA, and Erb HN. 2008. A histamine release assay to identify sensitization to Culicoides allergens in horses with skin hypersensitivity. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 126: 302-308. VIEW ABSTRACT
- Morgan EE, Miller WH Jr, Wagner B. 2007. A comparison of intradermal testing and detection of allergen-specific immunoglobulin E in serum by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in horses affected with skin hypersensitivity. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 120: 160-7. VIEW ABSTRACT
- Wagner B, Miller WH, Morgan EE, Hillegas JM, Erb HN, Leibold W, and Antczak DF. 2006. IgE and IgG antibodies in skin allergy of the horse. Vet. Res. 37: 813-825. VIEW ABSTRACT
- Wagner B, Radbruch A, Rohwer J, and Leibold W. 2003. Monoclonal anti-equine IgE antibodies with specificity for different epitopes on the immunoglobulin heavy chain of native IgE. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 92: 45-60. VIEW ABSTRACT
- Wagner B, Siebenkotten G, Leibold W, and Radbruch A. 2002. Expression of a 4-(Hydroxy-3-nitro-phenyl) acetyl (NP) specific equi-murine IgE antibody that mediates histamine release in vitro and a type I skin reaction in vivo. Equine Vet. J. 34: 657-665. VIEW ABSTRACT